Government minister visits Tower Hamlets charity and talks about retirement age
A government minister popped down to meet a community group in the East End today as they celebrated their 40th anniversary. The Under Secretary of State for Work and Pensions Helen Goodman also took time out for an interview with the Advertiser during w
A government minister popped down to meet a community group in the East End today as they celebrated their 40th anniversary.
The Under Secretary of State for Work and Pensions Helen Goodman also took time out for an interview with the Advertiser during which she confirmed the government's commitment not to raise the retirement age from 65 to 66 until 2026, despite the Tories pledge to bring the plans forward to 2016.
The junior minister was visiting Neighbours in Poplar during their annual general meeting at St Matthias Community Centre on Poplar High Street.
The MP for Bishop Auckland met with members of the charity to hear about the work they do with older people in the community.
You may also want to watch:
The Minister of State for Pensions, Angela Eagle, had been expected for the anniversary celebrations, but it is understood Ms Goodman stepped in after Ms Eagle was called to another meeting.
For an update on the Minister visit and interview see Thursday's paper edition
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 3 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 9 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 10 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single