Grace’s dad running London marathon for cystic fibrosis research
TIM Miller’s novel way of training for his first London Marathon is taking tips from his seven-year-old daughter Grace, who has cystic fibrosis. Doctors say one of the best treatments is physical exercise, so dad takes her for jogs in London’s East End where they live
TIM Miller's novel way of training for his first London Marathon is taking tips from his seven-year-old daughter Grace.
Grace has cystic fibrosis, a genetic condition affecting the lungs and digestive system.
Doctors say one of the best treatments is physical exercise, so dad takes her for regular jogs around Stepney Green in London's East End where they live.
"I took her out on a couple of short runs and she's loving it," said Tim. "She watched Rocky last week and now likes nothing better than a good work-out.
"Unfortunately it's me who's struggling. I only wish it was her doing the race next month. She's putting me to shame."
Tim is running with his sister Clare to raise money to fund research into treating Cystic Fibrosis, one of Britain's most common, life-threatening inherited diseases which claims three lives a week.
- 1 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 2 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 3 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 4 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 5 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
- 6 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
- 7 Leyton Orient could send goalkeeper Sargeant back out on loan
- 8 Masks, PCR tests and boosters: New measures to combat Omicron variant
- 9 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 10 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
Grace attends the specialist CF centre at the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel for her treatment. Her consultant Dr Siobhan Carr said: "Running is one of the best things you can do to keep your lungs healthy.
"But I'm a bit worried about dad. After all, he's just turned 40 and is probably in need of an MOT!"
Little Grace is appealing for online sponsors for her dad running on April 25 on the Just Giving website.