Great Wapping Treasure Hunt raises cash to save church
A TREASURE hunt sets off from a historic church to give people a chance to solve clues about Wapping and hunt for buried treasure as they help raise cash to restore the church.
The event sets off tomorrow (Sat Oct 2) from the Grade I listed St Peter’s Church in Wapping Lane which is regarded as one of the area’s own treasures.
The church was the first Anglican mission to the poor of London and the building was consecrated in 1866. Now fund-raisers have a target of �70,000 for their first stage of work to stop it deteriorating but have just found dry rot so they may increase the amount they need to raise.
Treasure hunters can turn up from 10am to 12 noon to set off on the hunt for clues which is estimated to take about two hours.
Participants can take part alone or use their detective skills as a group as they compete for prizes including a GPS system and a visit to the House of Commons.
You may also want to watch:
The event is part of the Mayor’s Story of London Festival.
Tickets cost �10 for adults and �5 for children aged between four and 16, with a special price of �15 for teams of up to four people.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 8 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 10 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
Further detail are available from email@example.com or on 07891138950 or people can just turn up on the day.