Great weather for ducks as stars turn out for Canary Wharf ice rink’s grand opening
THE weather was better for swimming than skating as the Canary Wharf Ice Rink was officially opened last Thursday.
So no wonder the great and good of Canary Wharf chose to stay indoors with a glass in their hand instead of venturing out in pouring rain.
Guests including Poplar and Limehouse MP Jim Fitzpatrick and actress Cleo Rocos joined ice rink owner Brian Jokat to toast the opening on Friday night.
The ice was in use, however, as a professional dance troupe showed off some stunning moves despite the rain and former Dancing on Ice contestant Sharron Davies re-created tricks she learnt on the show.
“It a beautiful setting here – what an amazing place to skate,” said the retired swimmer. “It’s a great way to be outside and spending time with family.”
You may also want to watch:
The rink was opened to the public the following day and will be in Canada Square Park until February 20.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 5 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 6 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 7 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 8 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 9 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 10 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19