Great weather for ducks as stars turn out for Canary Wharf ice rink’s grand opening
THE weather was better for swimming than skating as the Canary Wharf Ice Rink was officially opened last Thursday.
So no wonder the great and good of Canary Wharf chose to stay indoors with a glass in their hand instead of venturing out in pouring rain.
Guests including Poplar and Limehouse MP Jim Fitzpatrick and actress Cleo Rocos joined ice rink owner Brian Jokat to toast the opening on Friday night.
The ice was in use, however, as a professional dance troupe showed off some stunning moves despite the rain and former Dancing on Ice contestant Sharron Davies re-created tricks she learnt on the show.
“It a beautiful setting here – what an amazing place to skate,” said the retired swimmer. “It’s a great way to be outside and spending time with family.”
You may also want to watch:
The rink was opened to the public the following day and will be in Canada Square Park until February 20.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 3 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 4 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 5 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 6 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 7 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 8 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 9 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 10 Families start moving out of unsafe tower block in Bow