Green light given for new Travelodge hotel in the Mile End Road by Tower Hamlets Council
- Credit: Infinite 3D
A new hotel is to replace a disused building trade showroom next to the former Mile End municipal bath-house.
Planning permission for an 88-room Travelodge at Stepney Green with shops in Mile End Road has been passed by Tower Hamlets Council following public consultations last year.
The new development by Middlehaven Investments and Travelodge is aimed at “preserving the character” of Mile End Road in the architectural styles of the neighbourhood.
Middlehaven’s Simon Ashdown said: “We ran a public exhibition for the community to talk to us before we submitted our planning application.”
Construction is set to start in the autumn at the site where Topps Tiles showrooms used to trade, next to the old municipal bath-house, and is due to open by 2020 with 18 new full and part-time jobs and apprenticeships.
You may also want to watch:
It joins a chain of 70 hotels across London in the group which also has outlets throughout Britain, Ireland and Spain.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning