Green light given for new Travelodge hotel in the Mile End Road by Tower Hamlets Council
- Credit: Infinite 3D
A new hotel is to replace a disused building trade showroom next to the former Mile End municipal bath-house.
Planning permission for an 88-room Travelodge at Stepney Green with shops in Mile End Road has been passed by Tower Hamlets Council following public consultations last year.
The new development by Middlehaven Investments and Travelodge is aimed at “preserving the character” of Mile End Road in the architectural styles of the neighbourhood.
Middlehaven’s Simon Ashdown said: “We ran a public exhibition for the community to talk to us before we submitted our planning application.”
Construction is set to start in the autumn at the site where Topps Tiles showrooms used to trade, next to the old municipal bath-house, and is due to open by 2020 with 18 new full and part-time jobs and apprenticeships.
You may also want to watch:
It joins a chain of 70 hotels across London in the group which also has outlets throughout Britain, Ireland and Spain.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 5 Barts Health NHS Trust reports one of lowest rates of vaccinated staff
- 6 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 7 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 8 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 9 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 10 Go-ahead given for 315 more homes in third stage of Blackwall Reach scheme