Green Party selects Parliamentary candidate for Bethnal Green and Bow
THE Green Party has announced that anti-war campaigner Farid Bakht will be the party s Parliamentary candidate for Bethnal Green and Bow in this year s General Election. Mr Bakht, who has run a telecoms and software businesses in Whitechapel and Brick Lan
THE Green Party has announced that anti-war campaigner Farid Bakht will be the party's Parliamentary candidate for Bethnal Green and Bow in this year's General Election.
Mr Bakht, who has run a telecoms and software businesses in Whitechapel and Brick Lane for the past twelve years, said: "Only Green policies can revive our high streets, create new jobs and offer protection against the harsh winds of recession.
"Roman Road and Bethnal Green markets would be priorities, as well as more investment in the 2012 Games with decent jobs for local people.
"We need to defend young people against the savage cuts to education and train them for jobs in the emerging green industries and abolish student tuition fees."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Bakht, who was born in Hackney to a Spanish mother and Sylheti father, has a high profile role within the Green Party as International Coordinator on its National Executive Committee.
He is married and has a nine-year old daughter.
- 1 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 2 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
- 3 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 4 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 5 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 6 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 7 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 8 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 9 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 10 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End