Greens name Poplar and Limehouse General Election candidate
THE GREENS have picked a film-maker and communications expert to run for Parliament in Poplar and Limehouse. Tower Hamlets resident Chris Smith has also thrown his hat into the ring to run for council in Bow West in a bid to be one of Tower Hamlet s fir
THE GREENS have picked a film-maker and communications expert to run for Parliament in Poplar and Limehouse.
Tower Hamlets resident Chris Smith has also thrown his hat into the ring to run for council in Bow West in a bid to be one of Tower Hamlet's first green councillors.
He is a founder of the Ecotube website and is calling for better social housing, fighting education cuts, and encouraging adult learning as well as green policies including free home insulation.
He also wants to see lower fuel bills, reducing the number of empty properties in Tower Hamlets, more jobs for local people on the Olympic site and more cycle lanes.
He also wants to see council waste, include high salaries slashed.
He said: "The money saved will go towards enabling us to provide free insulation, increase social housing and regenerate our estates leading to lower levels of disorderly behaviour."
- 1 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 2 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 3 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 4 Councillor says he 'hopes to lose' next election
- 5 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 6 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 7 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 8 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 9 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 10 Guilty: East London criminals jailed in December 2021
Mr Smith works as a communications consultant and runs workshops on internet skills. He also supports a local Community Service Volunteer project as an energy champion.