Greens name Poplar and Limehouse General Election candidate
THE GREENS have picked a film-maker and communications expert to run for Parliament in Poplar and Limehouse. Tower Hamlets resident Chris Smith has also thrown his hat into the ring to run for council in Bow West in a bid to be one of Tower Hamlet s fir
THE GREENS have picked a film-maker and communications expert to run for Parliament in Poplar and Limehouse.
Tower Hamlets resident Chris Smith has also thrown his hat into the ring to run for council in Bow West in a bid to be one of Tower Hamlet's first green councillors.
He is a founder of the Ecotube website and is calling for better social housing, fighting education cuts, and encouraging adult learning as well as green policies including free home insulation.
He also wants to see lower fuel bills, reducing the number of empty properties in Tower Hamlets, more jobs for local people on the Olympic site and more cycle lanes.
You may also want to watch:
He also wants to see council waste, include high salaries slashed.
He said: "The money saved will go towards enabling us to provide free insulation, increase social housing and regenerate our estates leading to lower levels of disorderly behaviour."
- 1 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 2 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 3 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 4 Street food and farmers' market return to City Island
- 5 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 6 Hundreds of boilers break down in the East End during pandemic
- 7 Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- 8 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 9 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 10 England captain Harry Kane renews his shirt sponsorship with Leyton Orient
Mr Smith works as a communications consultant and runs workshops on internet skills. He also supports a local Community Service Volunteer project as an energy champion.