Greenwich chemical factory fire sends ‘smelly fog’ across south-east London
Around 60 firefighters tackled a huge blaze at a chemical processing plant in Greenwich, south-east London, this morning.
Fire broke out at the factory in Peterboat Close, shortly before 3.30am.
Twelve crews were sent to the scene, off the approach to the Blackwall Tunnel.
Many people reported on Twitter hearing what they described as an “air-raid siren” going off that could be heard across the area.
Thick smoke could be seen for miles around.
You may also want to watch:
A man who called himself Dave told BBC London that there was thick smoke on the Old Kent Road, a couple of miles to the west of the fire.
“You can’t see your hand in front of your face,” he said.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 3 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 4 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 5 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 6 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 7 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 8 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 9 Police called as furious families told to quit Bow's 'dangerous' block
- 10 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
“It is like a smelly fog.”
Around half of the 80 x 40m industrial unit was alight in the blaze, which was under control by 6.50am.
Fire chiefs have advised people in the area to keep doors and windows closed as a precaution against the fumes.
Assistant commissioner Dany Cotton said: “Our firefighters worked extremely hard to contain the fire, which damaged around half of a big industrial unit.
“Heavy smoke spread throughout the area and as a precaution, we have asked people to keep their doors and windows closed.”
Do you have any pictures of the fire? Sign up and share them at London.iwitness24.co.uk or email email@example.com