Greenwich chemical factory fire sends ‘smelly fog’ across south-east London
Around 60 firefighters tackled a huge blaze at a chemical processing plant in Greenwich, south-east London, this morning.
Fire broke out at the factory in Peterboat Close, shortly before 3.30am.
Twelve crews were sent to the scene, off the approach to the Blackwall Tunnel.
Many people reported on Twitter hearing what they described as an “air-raid siren” going off that could be heard across the area.
Thick smoke could be seen for miles around.
A man who called himself Dave told BBC London that there was thick smoke on the Old Kent Road, a couple of miles to the west of the fire.
“You can’t see your hand in front of your face,” he said.
- 1 Tower Hamlets A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 2 Plan to install gates at canalside development blocked despite ASB concerns
- 3 Man, woman and child escape 'large' e-bike fire in Wapping flat by climbing out window
- 4 Thames Water: Hosepipe ban announced for London and Thames Valley
- 5 'Ruthless' killer sentenced for Isle of Dogs murder
- 6 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 7 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 8 Man 'seriously injured' after e-scooter fall
- 9 Man reportedly 'chased by moped rider with large knife' in Poplar
- 10 Teenager, 17, arrested after car crashes into Bow apartment building
“It is like a smelly fog.”
Around half of the 80 x 40m industrial unit was alight in the blaze, which was under control by 6.50am.
Fire chiefs have advised people in the area to keep doors and windows closed as a precaution against the fumes.
Assistant commissioner Dany Cotton said: “Our firefighters worked extremely hard to contain the fire, which damaged around half of a big industrial unit.
“Heavy smoke spread throughout the area and as a precaution, we have asked people to keep their doors and windows closed.”
Do you have any pictures of the fire? Sign up and share them at London.iwitness24.co.uk or email firstname.lastname@example.org