Halving bus routes makes them more reliable
Dear Ed, BILL Tomlinson perhaps has a point when he mentions curtailment of bus routes in Central London. But the reason many cross-London services were halved’ was to provide a more reliable service with shorter waiting times
BILL Tomlinson perhaps has a point when he mentions curtailment of bus routes in Central London (Increases are Just Not Fare, Advertiser Website Letters, July 1.
But the reason many cross-London services were halved’ was to provide a more reliable service with shorter waiting times, which has been achieved in most cases. I often had to wait 45 minutes for a No 6 bus to come from Kensal Rise before going anywhere.
Yes, you do now have to shell out more in certain cases, as Bill points out, but there are substantial savings to be made elsewhere.
The integration of the North London Line into London Underground means you now only have to pay once, as opposed to paying for the Overground’ and then again for the Underground. A single from Hackney Central to East Ham, for example, is now just �1.10, saving well over half.
It is swings and roundabouts’ and simply confirms that everyone has to come to terms with change. Who would want to spend 90 minutes on a bus in today’s day and age anyway?
As for route 6a, it hasn’t run in nearly 40 years. Where have you been, Bill?
- 1 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 2 Update: Woman, 56, missing in Tower Hamlets found
- 3 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 4 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 5 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 6 Cyclist in 'critical but stable' condition after Whitechapel lorry crash
- 7 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Cyclist in hospital after lorry collision in Whitechapel
- 10 Mile End: Car crashes into bus stop during police pursuit
Meadow Close, Homerton