Hamim’s snowman is chosen for Tower Hamlets Mayor’s Christmas card
- Credit: Archant
Ahnaf Hamim had a big smile and a big surprise for his mum and dad—his snowman drawing has been chosen for the Mayor of Tower Hamlets’ official Christmas card this year.
The seven-year-old’s colourful picture is now being sent to hundreds of addresses on the Mayor’s list.
Children from five primary schools in London’s East End took part in a competition, with 13 pictures shortlisted, out of which the judges at the Town Hall selected Hamim’s snowman.
Hamim, a pupil at Whitechapel’s Harry Gosling Primary, said: “My friends are going to say ‘I wanted to be the winner’!”
But he never said a word about it at home. His dad Mohammed Hussain revealed: “He didn’t tell us he had done a design and just wanted to give us a surprise.”
You may also want to watch:
The shortlisted children were invited to a presentation at the Town Hall with their parents and teachers where they received Christmas book-tokens and certificates.
They included Hamim’s classmate at Harry Gosling’s, Yusuf Hussain.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning
Biggest selection of runners-up was eight pupils from Marner Primary—Haris Brailsford, Zain Henry, Tahira Aktar, Muhaymin Alim, Raquel Quaye, Sara Uddin, Yezda Karaman and Amin Mohamed. Others were Drusilla Dillabough from Mowlem Primary, Lynden Jones from St Saviour’s Primary and Nazifa Ahmed from Osmani Primary.