Alastair Campbell welcomes Black Dog Tribe website for mental awareness
The world’s largest social network for mental health has been set up by a national charity based in London’s East End.
Sane, which has its headquarters in Whitechapel, has acquired the popular ‘Black Dog Tribe’ website inspired by comedienne Ruby Wax and internet entrepreneur Dr Nina Stormsto.
The charity launched the social networking platform to mark International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
The move has been welcomed by mental health campaigner Alastair Campbell, former Prime Minister Tony Blair’s press secretary, who said: “There is a long way to go before we have the same understanding of mental health as we have with physical health—but this move is in the right direction.”
Sane has been running a ‘Black Dog’ campaign for 25 years and erecting black dog sculptures in public places to raise awareness of depression, reduce mental health stigma and give contact details for anyone needing help.
Its latest sculpture was put up, ironically, in the Isle of Dogs in June, unveiled at Island Gardens by Adam Ant, 48, lead singer with 1980s punk band Adam and the Ants.
He recently made a comeback and admitted suffering depression which he said was responsible for his lengthy spell of inactivity.
- 1 Archie Battersbee dies: Hospital staff showed 'extraordinary compassion'
- 2 Investigation under way after fire and explosion at Shoreditch block
- 3 Canary Wharf Underground station stabbing leaves man in hospital
- 4 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 5 Leyton Orient 'don't really need' Forest Green Rovers cup tie says Wellens
- 6 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 7 'Ruthless' killer sentenced for Isle of Dogs murder
- 8 We need a couple of bodies says Leyton Orient boss Wellens
- 9 Teenager, 17, arrested after car crashes into Bow apartment building
- 10 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
The website offering video-counselling and peer group support with access to professional help is at: www.blackdogtribe.com