Alastair Campbell welcomes Black Dog Tribe website for mental awareness
The world’s largest social network for mental health has been set up by a national charity based in London’s East End.
Sane, which has its headquarters in Whitechapel, has acquired the popular ‘Black Dog Tribe’ website inspired by comedienne Ruby Wax and internet entrepreneur Dr Nina Stormsto.
The charity launched the social networking platform to mark International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
The move has been welcomed by mental health campaigner Alastair Campbell, former Prime Minister Tony Blair’s press secretary, who said: “There is a long way to go before we have the same understanding of mental health as we have with physical health—but this move is in the right direction.”
Sane has been running a ‘Black Dog’ campaign for 25 years and erecting black dog sculptures in public places to raise awareness of depression, reduce mental health stigma and give contact details for anyone needing help.
You may also want to watch:
Its latest sculpture was put up, ironically, in the Isle of Dogs in June, unveiled at Island Gardens by Adam Ant, 48, lead singer with 1980s punk band Adam and the Ants.
He recently made a comeback and admitted suffering depression which he said was responsible for his lengthy spell of inactivity.
- 1 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 2 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 3 Truman's Brewery future being debated at Tower Hamlets Council
- 4 Two men rescued from Shadwell flat fire
- 5 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 6 Truman Brewery offices, shops and restaurants plan gets green light
- 7 Rape victim speaks out as Met Police relaunch Ask for Angela scheme
- 8 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 9 Protest rally over Uyghur Muslims planned at China’s new Royal Mint embassy
- 10 Call to remain vigilant after gay man killed in park in Mile End
The website offering video-counselling and peer group support with access to professional help is at: www.blackdogtribe.com