Andy Murray’s mum visits Whitechapel school
- Credit: Archant
Wimbledon Champion Andy Murray’s mum shared some top tennis tips with schoolchildren.
The youngsters, from Kobi Nazrul school, in Whitechapel spent time with Judy Murray learning some of the finer points of tennis.
Judy set up Set4Sport, a community programme to encourage parents to take up sporting play with their children. Supported by RBS, Set4Sport is a free toolkit bursting with fun activities. Visit www.set4sport.com to get your free Set4Sport book or download the free app.
Judy Murray, said: “I played ball games with Jamie and Andy almost as soon as they could walk. We didn’t know it then, but we were all taking part in the most basic of coaching sessions. Not only was it great fun but it also helped them develop the coordination skills that would allow them to play any sport competently in later life.”
Mr Kamal Butt, head teacher at the school, said: “It was heartening to see the interaction between so many children and their parents. The RBS Set4Sport games have given them ideas on how to use simple household objects in fun activities at home.
“We were delighted to welcome Judy Murray to the school and it really boosted the children’s confidence and aspirations.”
Set4Sport was inspired by Judy’s years of experience as a tennis coach and parent, it showcases easy and accessible ways for parents to play with their children and develop the skills required for playing sport- balance, coordination, agility and passing.
- 1 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 2 How many Covid patients are there in east London hospitals this week?
- 3 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 4 TfL consultation opens on plans to extend ULEZ into Greater London
- 5 Cyclist in 'critical but stable' condition after Whitechapel lorry crash
- 6 Cyclist in hospital after lorry collision in Whitechapel
- 7 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 8 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 9 Whitechapel nun pens book of 12 stories to inspire selflessness in society
- 10 Jailed: 9 east London offenders put behind bars in April
The activities featured in Set4Sport are based on the games Judy played with her sons Andy and Jamie when they were growing up, and can easily be recreated at home using everyday items.