Andy Murray’s mum visits Whitechapel school
- Credit: Archant
Wimbledon Champion Andy Murray’s mum shared some top tennis tips with schoolchildren.
The youngsters, from Kobi Nazrul school, in Whitechapel spent time with Judy Murray learning some of the finer points of tennis.
Judy set up Set4Sport, a community programme to encourage parents to take up sporting play with their children. Supported by RBS, Set4Sport is a free toolkit bursting with fun activities. Visit www.set4sport.com to get your free Set4Sport book or download the free app.
Judy Murray, said: “I played ball games with Jamie and Andy almost as soon as they could walk. We didn’t know it then, but we were all taking part in the most basic of coaching sessions. Not only was it great fun but it also helped them develop the coordination skills that would allow them to play any sport competently in later life.”
Mr Kamal Butt, head teacher at the school, said: “It was heartening to see the interaction between so many children and their parents. The RBS Set4Sport games have given them ideas on how to use simple household objects in fun activities at home.
You may also want to watch:
“We were delighted to welcome Judy Murray to the school and it really boosted the children’s confidence and aspirations.”
Set4Sport was inspired by Judy’s years of experience as a tennis coach and parent, it showcases easy and accessible ways for parents to play with their children and develop the skills required for playing sport- balance, coordination, agility and passing.
- 1 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 2 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 3 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 6 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 7 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 8 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 9 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
The activities featured in Set4Sport are based on the games Judy played with her sons Andy and Jamie when they were growing up, and can easily be recreated at home using everyday items.