Andy Murray’s mum visits Whitechapel school
- Credit: Archant
Wimbledon Champion Andy Murray’s mum shared some top tennis tips with schoolchildren.
The youngsters, from Kobi Nazrul school, in Whitechapel spent time with Judy Murray learning some of the finer points of tennis.
Judy set up Set4Sport, a community programme to encourage parents to take up sporting play with their children. Supported by RBS, Set4Sport is a free toolkit bursting with fun activities. Visit www.set4sport.com to get your free Set4Sport book or download the free app.
Judy Murray, said: “I played ball games with Jamie and Andy almost as soon as they could walk. We didn’t know it then, but we were all taking part in the most basic of coaching sessions. Not only was it great fun but it also helped them develop the coordination skills that would allow them to play any sport competently in later life.”
Mr Kamal Butt, head teacher at the school, said: “It was heartening to see the interaction between so many children and their parents. The RBS Set4Sport games have given them ideas on how to use simple household objects in fun activities at home.
You may also want to watch:
“We were delighted to welcome Judy Murray to the school and it really boosted the children’s confidence and aspirations.”
Set4Sport was inspired by Judy’s years of experience as a tennis coach and parent, it showcases easy and accessible ways for parents to play with their children and develop the skills required for playing sport- balance, coordination, agility and passing.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 3 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 4 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 5 Trees planted to remember people who died of Covid in the East End
- 6 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 7 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 10 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
The activities featured in Set4Sport are based on the games Judy played with her sons Andy and Jamie when they were growing up, and can easily be recreated at home using everyday items.