Best fancy dress runner gets to fly air ambulance over London
One of the volunteers in fancy dress taking part in a fun run to raise money next month for the air ambulance based at the Royal London Hospital is in for an exhilarating helicopter ride.
It’s the first prize for the best fancy dress in a sponsored 5k fun run staged in Regent’s Park on September 18.
There’s no minimum sponsorship—just as much as people can raise whether they run, walk, skip, jump or do the conga.
The lucky fancy dress winner gets a helicopter flight from Denham airfield across London to the helipad on top of the hospital in Whitechapel, then meets the ‘rapid response’ medical team who perform life-saving roadside operations.
Others who get to fly in the helicopter are not so lucky—those seriously ill or injured who are air-lifted to the Royal London as emergencies.
Four air-ambulance patients, however, returned to take part in last year’s fun run to show their support for the service that needs �1.5 million a year to keep flying.
- 1 Work begins on £300m Chrisp Street Market redevelopment
- 2 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 3 Council houses named after Matchgirls Strike leader
- 4 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 5 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 6 Traffic slow moving in Limehouse and Poplar due to burst water main
- 7 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 8 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
- 9 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets
- 10 County lines drug dealer jailed