Private BMI hospital in Stepney rated ‘2nd best in Britain’ after helping NHS Royal London tackle Covid
- Credit: BMI
One of the “top performing hospitals in the UK” coming through Coronavirus has been named as the London Independent in Stepney after its role supporting the Royal London during the pandemic crisis.
The private BMI medical centre has been ranked second of all independent hospitals and 30th best in Britain overall, while the NHS Royal London at Whitechapel is listed 40th overall, according to Newsweek and Statista data analysts.
The BMI treated 1,350 people at Stepney Green through outpatients, day case and inpatient procedures to ease congestion on the Royal London’s staff and beds during the acute-phase of the pandemic.
All three of its operating theatres were switched to help out with urgent procedures diverted from Whitechapel.
“We had a glowing report from our NHS colleagues during the intense Covid-19 period,” BMI’s consultant orthopaedic surgeon Vivek Gulati said. “Those times showed the systematic way the team approaches problem-solving together, when we helped the NHS with care and equipment.”
You may also want to watch:
The rating has notched the hospital up one place on the “independent best” list from third last year after being judged on recommendations from patients, its medical performance and its support for the NHS during the Covid crisis.
The range of treatment at the London Independent over the past 12 months was acknowledged by the judges as “significant”, from spinal trauma and liver cancer surgery to CT and ultrasound imaging.
- 1 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 3 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 4 Street food and farmers' market return to City Island
- 5 New Providence Wharf fire: Two in hospital and 42 treated at scene
- 6 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 7 Hundreds of boilers break down in the East End during pandemic
- 8 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 9 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 10 England captain Harry Kane renews his shirt sponsorship with Leyton Orient
The hospital’s executive director Sunny Chada said: “This reflects how we’ve performed from a medical outcomes view. The score is calculated on feedback nationally and internationally as well as feedback from our patients, which really means a great deal.”
Seriously ill patients treated by staff included those who might otherwise have faced severe consequences such as liver cancer and spinal trauma.
The “London Indy” was also selected as the official emergency hospital for the world’s top athletes during the 2012 Olympics staged at Stratford just three miles away.
The list of “best hospitals” covers 21 countries, now in its second year. Its UK listing puts the Royal London at 40, while St Bartholemew’s in the City, part of the same NHS trust, made it to 12th place. Guy’s in Southwark was eighth, while St Thomas’s in Lambeth hit the top slot as Britain’s best.