E-cigarette warning to consumers and businesses in Tower Hamlets
Smokers switching to the latest trend for e-cigarettes and e-shisha pipes are being warned of the safety risk from the electronic devices and their chemical contents.
Businesses have also been dealt a stark reminder from Tower Hamlets Trading Standards that they could be liable for any death or injury resulting from the sale of a dangerous product.
E-cigarettes and e-shisha pipes are electronic inhalers that vaporise a liquid containing a solvent, chemical flavourings and nicotine into a mist which is then inhaled in the same way as a traditional cigarette.
Concerns have been raised as to the particular contents of the chemicals they contain and to the electrical safety of the devices themselves, including any chargers supplied with them.
Tower Hamlets mayor, Lutfur Rahman, said: “E-cigarette and e-shisha products are becoming widely used without extensive knowledge of their health risks and safety.”
You may also want to watch:
The products are currently unlicensed however a Trading Standards spokesperson said those on sale should be lawful, comply with safety and labelling regulations as well as with electrical product safety regulation if they come with a mains charger.
They added any products that do not comply with these requirements would be illegal.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 4 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 5 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 6 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 7 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 8 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
If you would like further information as on e-cigarettes or e-shisha products contact Tower Hamlets Trading Standards at email@example.com or call 020 7364 5008.