E-cigarette warning to consumers and businesses in Tower Hamlets
Smokers switching to the latest trend for e-cigarettes and e-shisha pipes are being warned of the safety risk from the electronic devices and their chemical contents.
Businesses have also been dealt a stark reminder from Tower Hamlets Trading Standards that they could be liable for any death or injury resulting from the sale of a dangerous product.
E-cigarettes and e-shisha pipes are electronic inhalers that vaporise a liquid containing a solvent, chemical flavourings and nicotine into a mist which is then inhaled in the same way as a traditional cigarette.
Concerns have been raised as to the particular contents of the chemicals they contain and to the electrical safety of the devices themselves, including any chargers supplied with them.
Tower Hamlets mayor, Lutfur Rahman, said: “E-cigarette and e-shisha products are becoming widely used without extensive knowledge of their health risks and safety.”
The products are currently unlicensed however a Trading Standards spokesperson said those on sale should be lawful, comply with safety and labelling regulations as well as with electrical product safety regulation if they come with a mains charger.
They added any products that do not comply with these requirements would be illegal.
- 1 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 2 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 3 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 4 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets
- 5 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 6 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
- 7 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
- 8 Leyton Orient could send goalkeeper Sargeant back out on loan
- 9 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 10 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
If you would like further information as on e-cigarettes or e-shisha products contact Tower Hamlets Trading Standards at email@example.com or call 020 7364 5008.