East Ender one of first in revolutionary new blood pressure op
AN East End man who acted as a guinea pig in a new high blood pressure procedure said he is fighting fit, as the trial publishes “striking” results.
Last year, Fred Quatromini was one of just a handful of UK patients to have an operation to tackle his chronic high blood pressure.
The 40 minute surgery, described as ‘very safe’, involves a catheter being inserted into the kidney arteries so nerves which stimulate high blood pressure can be burned.
The procedure is permanent and means sufferers could reduce or even do without medication.
Yesterday (Wednesday), American company Ardian – which produces the device - described it as “truly revolutionary”, after 90 per cent of patients saw their blood pressure significantly reduced.
You may also want to watch:
The operation could now be rolled out across the country.
Mr Quatromini, 76, was chosen by medics because he had tried many medications and already led a healthy life.
- 1 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 5 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 6 Authorities urged to act against 'terrifying' Isle of Dogs car races
- 7 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 8 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 9 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 10 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
He was operated on at The London Chest Hospital, in Bethnal Green, last December.
The great-grandfather, from Mellish Street, Isle of Dogs, said: “I was getting breathless and worried about having a heart attack or stroke.
“When they told me I’d be one of the first in the country to have it, I was in two minds. It’s been a god send though.”
Mr Quatromini has walked five miles a day for as long as he can remember, but his blood pressure is now significantly more stable.
The Royal London, The London Chest and Barts hospitals, where the patients were treated, could now be a frontrunner in the UK for the new treatment.
Doctor Mel Lobo, a specialist in clinical hypertension at Barts and the London, said: “The result is substantial. The operation is incredibly safe and simple.
“Mr Quatromini was the perfect patient because he had a good quality of life, was very sensible about the usual lifestyle measures and good at taking his medicine.”
Around 100 people took part in the international trial, with less than ten in the UK.
The UK trial was conducted through the European Society of Hypertension Centre of Excellence, based at Barts and The London NHS trust, and Queen Mary’s William Harvey Research Institute.