Gold for Tower Hamlets youngsters in 2015 London Youth Games
- Credit: Balfour-Beatty
Youngsters representing the East End have come away with gold from the London Youth Games.
Tower Hamlets won gold in the ParaGames mini swimming last Thursday with 79 points in total, including gold for their relay team, competing in Europe’s largest annual youth sports festival finals at Crystal Palace.
More honours came yesterday when Tower Hamlets won a team bronze in the Weightlifting.
“We’ve been blessed with good athletes,” team manager Rich Kite said. “I like to think I create a good environment for them to train in, but it comes down to their desire to train—they’ve done well because they want to win.”
Tower Hamlets got to 18th place overall in the Jubilee Trophy standings out of the 33 London boroughs, following eight months of competitions involving 100,000 youngsters in 31 sports.
British 100m record holder Dina Asher-Smith and Rugby World Cup winner Maggie Alphonsi were among the former London Youth Games competitors who attended Finals week at Crystal Palace, sharing the lighting of the flame at Thursday’s opening ceremony.
You may also want to watch:
Around 15,000 youngsters from eight to 18 competed in 19 sports in the finals, following in the footprints of Olympic champions such as Mo Farah and Christine Ohuruogu, England footballers Rio Ferdinand and Raheem Sterling and a-million others who have taken part since the first-ever London Youth Games in 1977.
- 1 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 2 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 3 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 4 Leyton Orient have announced their retained list as they begin rebuild
- 5 MP's fury at four-year delay removing Grenfell-type cladding from block
- 6 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 7 'Halt to development draining services' after win for neighbourhood plan
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 10 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election