Harvey the Bunny hops into Hawthorn Green care home to help elderly with dementia
- Credit: Sanctuary Care homes
Sessions with fury creatures have been introduced at a care home in London’s East End to help elderly residents with dementia.
Animals of all shapes and sizes were brought into Hawthorn Green care home in Redmans Road, Stepney Green, by volunteers from a nearby city farm.
The stars of the show were a honey-coloured bunny called Harvey, a proud hen called Mabel and three cheeky guinea pigs called Baked Bean, PJ and Victor.
“I loved cuddling the rabbit and felt very content,” 92-year-old resident Tom Diss said. “I would love Harvey to come again.”
Ron Ballard, 82, chipped in: “It was like the outdoors brought to us—I felt right at home.”
You may also want to watch:
The residents got the chance to fuss over the animals, thanks to the session arranged with Stepney city farm just down the road.
The home’s activities leader Joan Coker said: “Our residents all love animals—every single face lit up when the furry creatures turned up.”
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 5 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
The animals were brought in to the Sanctuary Group care home by volunteers from Furry Tales, a not-for-profit animal-assisted programme based at the city farm in Stepney Way. The programme has been set up to help older people with dementia stimulate conversations and memories, using the warmth and physical contact of the friendly creatures.