Health centre extension opens in Bow — but baby clinic won’t start till after Covid crisis is over
- Credit: THCCG
A new £4.6million health centre extension opened in Bow during the Covid-19 pandemic is now almost fully functioning while the planned baby clinic is having to wait till after the emergency is lifted.
The redeveloped 1920s Wellington Way centre paid for from planning levies on commercial developments in the East End has brought together both the Merchant Street and Stroudley Walk practices under one roof.
“This is an example of ongoing modernisation of health facilities in the East End,” NHS Tower Hamlets GPs commissioning group chairman Sir Sam Everington said. “This has only been possible with the support of the local authority.”
The extended centre has eight consulting-examination rooms, six treatment rooms and two blood-testing rooms, all with latest state-of-the-art medical equipment.
But a large room for activities such as baby clinics and group therapy will only be used when it is safe to do so, the GPs assured, after the pandemic crisis is finally over.
You may also want to watch:
GP Sangeeta Rana-Masson said: “This is a challenging time for us, but we are seeing patients now and the extended centre will allow us to expand and best meet future needs.”
The redevelopment was paid for in part from funds levied by Tower Hamlets Council from developers to meet the demand for an ever-increasing population. The town hall has committed £20m to expand medical facilities now needed in the East End.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 8 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 9 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 10 Man, 19, charged after alleged sexual assaults in Tower Hamlets