Health chiefs set up sofas for teenagers to chat about sex
HEALTH bosses worried about the number of sexual diseases and pregnancies among teenagers in London’s East End are setting up sofas in public spaces to help youngsters through their problems. They are using the sofas at venues where kids hang out’ to get them to talk about things like pregnancy, sex education and sexually transmitted infections to help improve health services
HEALTH bosses worried about the number of sexual diseases and pregnancies among teenagers in London's East End are setting up sofas in public spaces to help youngsters through their problems.
They are using the sofas at venues where kids 'hang out' to get them to talk about things like pregnancy, sex education and sexually transmitted infections.
The idea is that teenagers sit and tell members of Tower Hamlets Primary Care trust's 'Options' team their views to help improve health services in the East End.
"These sofa events give us a chance to meet youngsters," explained team development officer Garry Huggan.
You may also want to watch:
"We're going to places where they hang out to talk about sexual health and the services available, while educating and informing them. It's a unique opportunity."
The sofas, which have already been set up at two locations this week, next appear at on Thursday (August 28) at Connexions advice centre at 150 Burdett-road in Mile End from 12pm and at the nearby Bancroft Estate from 3pm.
- 1 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 4 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 5 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 6 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 7 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 8 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 9 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 10 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff
The 'Options' specialist team includes a teenage pregnancy advisor, nurse practitioner, development nurse and young men's development worker.