Health chiefs set up sofas for teenagers to chat about sex
HEALTH bosses worried about the number of sexual diseases and pregnancies among teenagers in London’s East End are setting up sofas in public spaces to help youngsters through their problems. They are using the sofas at venues where kids hang out’ to get them to talk about things like pregnancy, sex education and sexually transmitted infections to help improve health services
HEALTH bosses worried about the number of sexual diseases and pregnancies among teenagers in London's East End are setting up sofas in public spaces to help youngsters through their problems.
They are using the sofas at venues where kids 'hang out' to get them to talk about things like pregnancy, sex education and sexually transmitted infections.
The idea is that teenagers sit and tell members of Tower Hamlets Primary Care trust's 'Options' team their views to help improve health services in the East End.
"These sofa events give us a chance to meet youngsters," explained team development officer Garry Huggan.
You may also want to watch:
"We're going to places where they hang out to talk about sexual health and the services available, while educating and informing them. It's a unique opportunity."
The sofas, which have already been set up at two locations this week, next appear at on Thursday (August 28) at Connexions advice centre at 150 Burdett-road in Mile End from 12pm and at the nearby Bancroft Estate from 3pm.
- 1 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 2 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 3 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 4 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 5 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 6 Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- 7 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 8 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 9 Voting in the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Planning Referendum
- 10 Bronze Age hoard to go on show after 3,000 years and an extra year's delay
The 'Options' specialist team includes a teenage pregnancy advisor, nurse practitioner, development nurse and young men's development worker.