Hospital in Tower Hamlets launches campaign to fight the five top diseases
- Credit: Archant
A hospital has launched a campaign to help residents take action against the country’s five deadliest preventable diseases.
The Big Health Pledge, run by BMI The London Independent Hospital in Stepney Green, hopes to raise awareness by encouraging local residents to make a pledge to improve their health.
Residents can complete a health survey online to identify which health pledge they could make.
According to government figures there were 1,454 premature deaths in Tower Hamlets between 2009 and 2011, ranking it at 137th out of 150 local authorities.
In the same period there were 128 cancer deaths out of 100,000 people, and 87 deaths from heart disease and stroke.
You may also want to watch:
35 people died of lung disease and 22 from liver disease.
Dr Charles Knight, a consultant cardiologist at the hospital, said: “The Big Health Pledge will hopefully get people thinking about how they could eat healthier, be more active, quit smoking, drink less alcohol and be more health aware – all steps to a healthier, happier life.”
- 1 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 2 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 3 Beer gardens reopening with face marks, sanitisers and cobblestones
- 4 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 5 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike
- 6 Hundreds of customers descend on reopened retailers
- 7 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 8 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 9 Opposing 'privatisation of NHS by stealth'
- 10 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
Kirsty Baker, executive director at the hospital, said: “Our team is supporting this campaign to help people in the local Tower Hamlets community look again at how their lifestyle choices can be affecting their health.”
For more information please visit: bmibighealthpledge.co.uk