Hospital in Tower Hamlets launches campaign to fight the five top diseases
- Credit: Archant
A hospital has launched a campaign to help residents take action against the country’s five deadliest preventable diseases.
The Big Health Pledge, run by BMI The London Independent Hospital in Stepney Green, hopes to raise awareness by encouraging local residents to make a pledge to improve their health.
Residents can complete a health survey online to identify which health pledge they could make.
According to government figures there were 1,454 premature deaths in Tower Hamlets between 2009 and 2011, ranking it at 137th out of 150 local authorities.
In the same period there were 128 cancer deaths out of 100,000 people, and 87 deaths from heart disease and stroke.
You may also want to watch:
35 people died of lung disease and 22 from liver disease.
Dr Charles Knight, a consultant cardiologist at the hospital, said: “The Big Health Pledge will hopefully get people thinking about how they could eat healthier, be more active, quit smoking, drink less alcohol and be more health aware – all steps to a healthier, happier life.”
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 3 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 4 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 5 Trees planted to remember people who died of Covid in the East End
- 6 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 7 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 10 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
Kirsty Baker, executive director at the hospital, said: “Our team is supporting this campaign to help people in the local Tower Hamlets community look again at how their lifestyle choices can be affecting their health.”
For more information please visit: bmibighealthpledge.co.uk