Independent hospital tackles East End obesity with no-fee consultations
Weight loss consultations are being offered free by an independent hospital in the fight against obesity in London’s East End.
Up to a third of the population in Tower Hamlets is classed as clinically obese.
Now the London Independent Hospital at Stepney Green is offering no-fee consultations until the end of May for anyone overweight to see if they are eligible for Bariatric or weight loss surgery.
“Bariatric surgery offers the answer for some people when all else fails,” said Surgeon Kesava Mannur.
“But it’s not the easy option—anyone undergoing surgery has to make dramatic changes to their lives.”
You may also want to watch:
The surgery can reduce diabetes in four-out-of-five overweight people, improve fertility among three-out-of-four and help restore life expectancy, the hospital points out. Consultations can be booked by phone on 0800-015 2187.
- 1 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 4 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 5 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 500 deaf children wait to see if their education needs will be cut by Tower Hamlets Council
- 10 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars