Isle of Dogs nurse Alison Cooper abseils down St Thomas’s Hospital to say ‘thanks’
- Credit: Guys & St Thomas NHS Trust
Nurse Alison Cooper risked abseiling 160ft down the side of the hospital where she works to thank them for saving her life.
The 52-year-old from the Isle of Dogs took the plunge at St Thomas’s in Lambeth to raise money for the NHS trust that runs it.
She went to A&E after becoming unwell during her shift on Christmas Day in 2016—and was diagnosed with a bowel obstruction which can be life threatening if not treated in time.
Alison, a nurse practitioner for four years at the hospital, had to have emergency laparotomy surgery and spent two weeks recovering in the gastro-intestinal ward and returned to work after three months.
“Recovering from surgery was tough,” Alison recalled. “So I’m thankful I was treated in time.
You may also want to watch:
“The nurses went out of their way to make me comfortable which helped me come to terms with what had happened.”
Alison, who trained as a nurse 30 years ago, abseiled last Friday as her way of thanking staff who looked after her.
- 1 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 2 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 3 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 4 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 5 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 8 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 9 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 10 Win a pair of Carabao Cup tickets to Leyton Orient vs Queens Park Rangers
“I felt a mixture of excitement and apprehension before the abseil,” she admitted. “But it was exhilarating going down and taking in the views of Big Ben and the London Eye and raising funds for a great cause.”
Alison and 200 adventurers descended to raise £135,000 for the hospital trust.