Isle of Dogs nurse Alison Cooper abseils down St Thomas’s Hospital to say ‘thanks’
- Credit: Guys & St Thomas NHS Trust
Nurse Alison Cooper risked abseiling 160ft down the side of the hospital where she works to thank them for saving her life.
The 52-year-old from the Isle of Dogs took the plunge at St Thomas’s in Lambeth to raise money for the NHS trust that runs it.
She went to A&E after becoming unwell during her shift on Christmas Day in 2016—and was diagnosed with a bowel obstruction which can be life threatening if not treated in time.
Alison, a nurse practitioner for four years at the hospital, had to have emergency laparotomy surgery and spent two weeks recovering in the gastro-intestinal ward and returned to work after three months.
“Recovering from surgery was tough,” Alison recalled. “So I’m thankful I was treated in time.
You may also want to watch:
“The nurses went out of their way to make me comfortable which helped me come to terms with what had happened.”
Alison, who trained as a nurse 30 years ago, abseiled last Friday as her way of thanking staff who looked after her.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 4 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 5 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 6 Barts Health NHS Trust reports one of lowest rates of vaccinated staff
- 7 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 10 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
“I felt a mixture of excitement and apprehension before the abseil,” she admitted. “But it was exhilarating going down and taking in the views of Big Ben and the London Eye and raising funds for a great cause.”
Alison and 200 adventurers descended to raise £135,000 for the hospital trust.