Mum pampered by Royal London Hospital while newborn baby waits for surgery
- Credit: Barts NHS trust
Monika Schlehrova has a Christmas wish that her miracle baby son Zachary—born without a heartbeat—gets through his latest life-saving operation.
Little Zachary was due to have surgery at the Royal London Hospital this week after being rushed in with a hernia at 11 weeks old.
“I had an emergency caesarean at the Homerton Hospital after my uterus ruptured and lost two litres of blood,” Monika explained.
“Zachary was born without a heartbeat and had to be resuscitated for 10 minutes.
“It was awful, but he is a little fighter.”
You may also want to watch:
Monika, 35, was one of a group of mums at the Royal London treated on Friday to a ‘pamper and spa’ day where beauticians, masseuses and hairdressers volunteered their time.
“It’s been months since I last had time to think about my hair and nails,” Monika admitted. “I normally make a real effort with lots of glamour.”
- 1 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 2 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 3 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 6 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 7 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 8 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
But she also thanked staff at both the Royal London and the Homerton for saving her life and little Zachary.
The mums were also given manicures with shoulder and head massages.
The hospital’s Tara Shea said: “We see every day just how much the parents take on when caring for their child, with love and warm smiles to mask the worry they feel.
“We just wanted to give something back to them.”
The pampering day organised by the Rays of Sunshine charity came with fresh coffee, doughnuts, biscuits and cupcakes iced with a beauty theme of lipstick and hair-straighteners.