Pensioners in Stepney are pampered with beauty manicures with their Christmas lunch
- Credit: LBTH
Pensioners have been treated to luxury pampering by trainee beauty students at their college salon with manicures and pedicures.
The students invited residents from Lady Mico's Almshouses in Stepney for the festive season treat at New City College.
The beauty session was part of a programme of activities with sheltered accommodation landlords by Tower Hamlets Council to help tackle isolation and bring generations together.
"We want to make sure older people keep their social connections and independence," the council's cabinet member for health and wellbeing Amina Ali said. "Young students are sharing their skills with older generations."
The pensioners were given manicures, pedicures, hand and foot massages, followed by a festive lunch prepared by catering students.
You may also want to watch:
The council is urging neighbours to "look out for the elderly" living alone who may be isolated and invite them to join in seasonal festivities.
- 1 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 2 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 3 Leyton Orient boosted by potential returns of Smyth and Drinan for Salford trip
- 4 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 5 Budding east London cricketers invited to watch The Hundred
- 6 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 7 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 8 Things to do in east London this weekend (August 7-8)
- 9 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff
- 10 Youngsters have put themselves in Jackett's plans at Orient says Pratley