Pensioners in Stepney are pampered with beauty manicures with their Christmas lunch
- Credit: LBTH
Pensioners have been treated to luxury pampering by trainee beauty students at their college salon with manicures and pedicures.
The students invited residents from Lady Mico's Almshouses in Stepney for the festive season treat at New City College.
The beauty session was part of a programme of activities with sheltered accommodation landlords by Tower Hamlets Council to help tackle isolation and bring generations together.
"We want to make sure older people keep their social connections and independence," the council's cabinet member for health and wellbeing Amina Ali said. "Young students are sharing their skills with older generations."
The pensioners were given manicures, pedicures, hand and foot massages, followed by a festive lunch prepared by catering students.
You may also want to watch:
The council is urging neighbours to "look out for the elderly" living alone who may be isolated and invite them to join in seasonal festivities.
- 1 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 2 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike
- 4 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 5 Woman from Limehouse charged after Kill the Bill protest
- 6 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 7 Fire crews fight blaze in railway arch in Bow
- 8 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
- 9 Jailed: Smash-and-grab perfume raiders get 18 years between them
- 10 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion