How many NHS staff are off sick with Covid in east London?
- Credit: Peter Byrne/PA Wire.
More than 600 NHS staff in east London are off work due to Covid, figures reveal.
The latest government data shows Barts Health NHS Trust had 334 staff absent either with Covid or isolating because of it as of January 2.
The trust - which runs five hospitals including The Royal London, Mile End, Newham and Whipps Cross - had a total of 822 employees off sick in total.
This represents about five per cent of its total workforce of 16,855.
Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust (BHRUT) had 263 Covid absences on January 2, which accounts for more than half of the 429 staff off sick.
Data published by the trust itself shows total illness absences had risen to 547 – with 306 related to Covid – on January 5.
This included 81 staff who were isolating and 225 who had tested positive for Covid.
- 1 Japanese udon noodles chain to mark Canary Wharf opening with free bowls
- 2 Bow man accused of carrying out fatal hammer attack appears at Old Bailey
- 3 New Kray twins book to explore lives of gangsters 'aside from the crimes'
- 4 Bow man appears in court charged with murder after body found in cemetery
- 5 Riverside park extension above new sewage structures given green light
- 6 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 7 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
- 8 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 9 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 10 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
The total absences represent around seven per cent of the workforce of the trust, which runs Queen’s Hospital in Romford and King George Hospital in Goodmayes.