Santa in high-tech North Pole video link to Royal London Hospital’s young patients
- Credit: Barts NHS trust
Santa has upgraded his grotto operation for the high-tech 21st century with a video link direct from the North Pole to the children spending Christmas at the Royal London Hospital.
He was beamed live to Whitechapel yesterday on a floor-to-ceiling TV screen using a ‘Connected Santa’ IT programme to speak to each child at the hospital’s ‘healing space’—just as if they were in Santa’s regular grotto.
“Being in hospital this time of year often means children miss out on the magic of Christmas,” the hospital’s Tara Shea explained.
“That includes visiting Santa, so the IT programme means assurance that the reindeer know exactly how to get to them on Christmas Eve.”
The hospital’s healing space was transformed into a winter wonderland, where the children were greeted with a “Ho Ho Ho” by Santa on screen.
Added to Santa’s 21st century makeover was women’s equality champion Mary Claus who turned up with her apprentice elves.
The ‘Connected Santa’ programme by Cisco IT gave the children a chance to “speak directly to Father Christmas in the North Pole” while Mary Claus and her elf helpers handed out the presents.
- 1 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 2 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 3 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
- 4 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 5 Come Dine With Me calls on east London restaurants for new show
- 6 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 7 One per cent council tax rise planned with borough set for balanced budget
- 8 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 9 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network
- 10 Guilty: East London criminals jailed in December 2021