Santa in high-tech North Pole video link to Royal London Hospital’s young patients
- Credit: Barts NHS trust
Santa has upgraded his grotto operation for the high-tech 21st century with a video link direct from the North Pole to the children spending Christmas at the Royal London Hospital.
He was beamed live to Whitechapel yesterday on a floor-to-ceiling TV screen using a ‘Connected Santa’ IT programme to speak to each child at the hospital’s ‘healing space’—just as if they were in Santa’s regular grotto.
“Being in hospital this time of year often means children miss out on the magic of Christmas,” the hospital’s Tara Shea explained.
“That includes visiting Santa, so the IT programme means assurance that the reindeer know exactly how to get to them on Christmas Eve.”
The hospital’s healing space was transformed into a winter wonderland, where the children were greeted with a “Ho Ho Ho” by Santa on screen.
You may also want to watch:
Added to Santa’s 21st century makeover was women’s equality champion Mary Claus who turned up with her apprentice elves.
The ‘Connected Santa’ programme by Cisco IT gave the children a chance to “speak directly to Father Christmas in the North Pole” while Mary Claus and her elf helpers handed out the presents.
- 1 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 2 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 3 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 4 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 5 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 9 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 10 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report