Santa in high-tech North Pole video link to Royal London Hospital’s young patients
- Credit: Barts NHS trust
Santa has upgraded his grotto operation for the high-tech 21st century with a video link direct from the North Pole to the children spending Christmas at the Royal London Hospital.
He was beamed live to Whitechapel yesterday on a floor-to-ceiling TV screen using a ‘Connected Santa’ IT programme to speak to each child at the hospital’s ‘healing space’—just as if they were in Santa’s regular grotto.
“Being in hospital this time of year often means children miss out on the magic of Christmas,” the hospital’s Tara Shea explained.
“That includes visiting Santa, so the IT programme means assurance that the reindeer know exactly how to get to them on Christmas Eve.”
The hospital’s healing space was transformed into a winter wonderland, where the children were greeted with a “Ho Ho Ho” by Santa on screen.
You may also want to watch:
Added to Santa’s 21st century makeover was women’s equality champion Mary Claus who turned up with her apprentice elves.
The ‘Connected Santa’ programme by Cisco IT gave the children a chance to “speak directly to Father Christmas in the North Pole” while Mary Claus and her elf helpers handed out the presents.
- 1 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 2 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Fire crews fight blaze in railway arch in Bow
- 4 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 5 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 6 Opposing 'privatisation of NHS by stealth'
- 7 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff full of praise for Cheltenham Town after loss
- 8 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
- 9 Woman from Limehouse charged after Kill the Bill protest
- 10 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike