Tower Hamlets opens seven outdoor gyms in bid to reduce borough’s obesity
- Credit: Archant
The mayor of Tower Hamlets flexed his non-political muscles at the opening of an outdoor gym on the Isle of Dogs.
John Biggs helped staff and residents open the gym in Sir John McDougall Gardens during a fun day today (Monday).
It’s one of seven being opened across the borough, which have been set up as a result of feedback from GP patient participation groups.
The urban gyms will be part of a ‘social prescribing’ service that GPs and nurses can use to refer patients. It’s estimated that up to 30 per cent of Tower Hamlets’ adult population is clinically obese.
John Biggs said: “Tower Hamlets has a problem with obesity and we recognise how important physical activity is for improved physical and mental health and wellbeing.
You may also want to watch:
“Our new outdoor training facilities give residents an opportunity to exercise in the fresh air, improving their fitness levels and having fun at the same time.”
The gyms include parallel bars, cross trainers, hand bikes, benches and sprint tracks, and there’ll be instructor-led free workouts running every week.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 4 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 7 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
- 8 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 9 No arrests after triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
The other gyms are located at Millwall Park in the Isle of Dogs, Ropewalk Gardens in Whitechapel, Shandy Park in Stepney, Rounton Road Park in Bromley-by-Bow, Jolly’s Green in Poplar, and Pollard Square in Bethnal Green.