Swing dancing hot-footing its way to Spitalfields Market for a fun summer
TV’s Dragons’ Den success Swing Patrol is planning a summer of free outdoor dance and fitness activities at Spitalfields Market to get east London to swing.
They promise no booking, no fees, no limit to places, no pressure, no previous dance or fitness level required whatsoever.
The events are open to all members of the public.
Swing dancing regularly hot foots it down to the East End each summer when troupes like Swing Patrol hit the light fantastic at Spitalfields Market and the Roman Road or Swing East who perform at Poplar’s Chrisp Street Market.
Swing Patrol wants to encourage people to simply turn up at Spitalfields and experience the joy of swing, whether getting involved or just watching.
You may also want to watch:
Taster sessions and dancing events are for anyone to just jump in and learn some of the basics of swing dancing.
Its dance troupes who make an appearance will be getting into aerial dance moves or drawing inspiration from the many London Lindy hoppers for whom swing dancing has become a core part of their social lives.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 3 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 4 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 5 Trees planted to remember people who died of Covid in the East End
- 6 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 7 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 10 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
The Spitalfields venue for the free swing dancing and taster lessons is in Bishops Square, off Commercial Street.
Dates planned are three days in June on 9, 10 and 11, all at 1-3pm, three days in July on 4, 12 and 20, all 6-8pm, and three dates in August on 1, 9 and 17, all 6-8pm.
Fitness instructors from SwingTrain body cardio workout are planning a series of exercise workouts for the more adventurous.
Other events are being staged by Swing Dance outside City Hall at Queen’s Walk, near Tower Bridge.