Swing dancing hot-footing its way to Spitalfields Market for a fun summer
TV’s Dragons’ Den success Swing Patrol is planning a summer of free outdoor dance and fitness activities at Spitalfields Market to get east London to swing.
They promise no booking, no fees, no limit to places, no pressure, no previous dance or fitness level required whatsoever.
The events are open to all members of the public.
Swing dancing regularly hot foots it down to the East End each summer when troupes like Swing Patrol hit the light fantastic at Spitalfields Market and the Roman Road or Swing East who perform at Poplar’s Chrisp Street Market.
Swing Patrol wants to encourage people to simply turn up at Spitalfields and experience the joy of swing, whether getting involved or just watching.
You may also want to watch:
Taster sessions and dancing events are for anyone to just jump in and learn some of the basics of swing dancing.
Its dance troupes who make an appearance will be getting into aerial dance moves or drawing inspiration from the many London Lindy hoppers for whom swing dancing has become a core part of their social lives.
- 1 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 2 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 3 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 8 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
The Spitalfields venue for the free swing dancing and taster lessons is in Bishops Square, off Commercial Street.
Dates planned are three days in June on 9, 10 and 11, all at 1-3pm, three days in July on 4, 12 and 20, all 6-8pm, and three dates in August on 1, 9 and 17, all 6-8pm.
Fitness instructors from SwingTrain body cardio workout are planning a series of exercise workouts for the more adventurous.
Other events are being staged by Swing Dance outside City Hall at Queen’s Walk, near Tower Bridge.