Tower Hamlets mental health worker wins International Nurse of Year award
- Credit: East London NHS Foundation Trust - submitted
A mental health nurse was presented with an international award by a TV celebrity to honour his work with patients in Africa.
Cerdic Hall, who works with patients in Tower Hamlets, received the International Nurse of the Year award from former GMTV presenter Fiona Phillips.
The gong was in recognition of Cerdic’s work trying to improve the standard of mental health care in Uganda.
He is chairman of the Butabika Link charity, a partnership between the East London NHS Foundation Trust and the Butabika Hospital in Uganda.
The organisation funds the education and development of mental health workers in Uganda, and staff exchanges take place throughout the year.
You may also want to watch:
Cerdic said: “It’s really exciting to be recognised for my contribution and of course it is truly a recognition of thousands who take the small and big actions that inspire positive change.
“The movement of Ugandan service users to revolutionise mental health care there is such an idea and it was a fire lit by East London communities.
- 1 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 4 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 5 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff
- 6 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 7 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 8 Tokyo 2020: Poplar children have their own 'Olympics'
- 9 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 10 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
“Nursing is all about serving whilst empowering, and the Butabika Link remains a great opportunity to do this better and better.”
The awards ceremony was organised by the Nursing Standard, a nursing journal, and the bash took place on March 12 at the Victoria and Albert Museum in central London.
Cerdic’s award was sponsored by the prestigious Royal College of Nursing.