Tower Hamlets mental health worker wins International Nurse of Year award
- Credit: East London NHS Foundation Trust - submitted
A mental health nurse was presented with an international award by a TV celebrity to honour his work with patients in Africa.
Cerdic Hall, who works with patients in Tower Hamlets, received the International Nurse of the Year award from former GMTV presenter Fiona Phillips.
The gong was in recognition of Cerdic’s work trying to improve the standard of mental health care in Uganda.
He is chairman of the Butabika Link charity, a partnership between the East London NHS Foundation Trust and the Butabika Hospital in Uganda.
The organisation funds the education and development of mental health workers in Uganda, and staff exchanges take place throughout the year.
You may also want to watch:
Cerdic said: “It’s really exciting to be recognised for my contribution and of course it is truly a recognition of thousands who take the small and big actions that inspire positive change.
“The movement of Ugandan service users to revolutionise mental health care there is such an idea and it was a fire lit by East London communities.
- 1 Dog festival gets go-ahead for Isle of Dogs, of all places
- 2 Pedestrian struck by motorcycle in critical condition following Stepney collision
- 3 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 4 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 5 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 6 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 7 Battle lost to save historic Whitechapel bell foundry
- 8 Campaign launched to 'clean up the Thames and help save world's oceans'
- 9 Hot tub and BBQ boats relaunched at Canary Wharf
- 10 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
“Nursing is all about serving whilst empowering, and the Butabika Link remains a great opportunity to do this better and better.”
The awards ceremony was organised by the Nursing Standard, a nursing journal, and the bash took place on March 12 at the Victoria and Albert Museum in central London.
Cerdic’s award was sponsored by the prestigious Royal College of Nursing.