Tower Hamlets sixth busiest borough for London’s Air Ambulance in 2017
- Credit: Archant
London’s Air Ambulance treated 82 patients in Tower Hamlets last year, making it the sixth busiest borough for call-outs.
The charity delivers care via helicopter and rapid response vehicle to patients in life-threatening situations.
In 2017 they treated 1,797 patients across the city, with almost a third of these being stabbing or shooting victims.
Lead clinician Dr Gareth Grier said: “Sadly, through 2017 the number of missions where a patient has been stabbed or shot has risen. It is not unusual now for our teams to perform open chest surgery for stab wounds twice in a single day. This would have been unheard of a few years back. “But our world leading treatments means that we can give these and other patients we treat the best possible chance of survival.
“The challenge we have is to innovate further to help our patients even more.”
You may also want to watch:
The charity costs £10 million a year to run and survives mainly from donations.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 4 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 7 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
- 8 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 9 Man dies on Isle of Dogs
- 10 No arrests after triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs