Tower Hamlets sixth busiest borough for London’s Air Ambulance in 2017
- Credit: Archant
London’s Air Ambulance treated 82 patients in Tower Hamlets last year, making it the sixth busiest borough for call-outs.
The charity delivers care via helicopter and rapid response vehicle to patients in life-threatening situations.
In 2017 they treated 1,797 patients across the city, with almost a third of these being stabbing or shooting victims.
Lead clinician Dr Gareth Grier said: “Sadly, through 2017 the number of missions where a patient has been stabbed or shot has risen. It is not unusual now for our teams to perform open chest surgery for stab wounds twice in a single day. This would have been unheard of a few years back. “But our world leading treatments means that we can give these and other patients we treat the best possible chance of survival.
“The challenge we have is to innovate further to help our patients even more.”
You may also want to watch:
The charity costs £10 million a year to run and survives mainly from donations.
- 1 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 2 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike
- 4 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 5 Woman from Limehouse charged after Kill the Bill protest
- 6 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 7 Fire crews fight blaze in railway arch in Bow
- 8 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
- 9 Jailed: Smash-and-grab perfume raiders get 18 years between them
- 10 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion