Work on St George’s Leisure Centre is completed
St George’s Leisure Centre in Shadwell has been given an �800,000 renovation, having previously been on the verge of closure.
Structural reports had indicated that the centre was nearing the end of its capacity to continue operating as a public swimming pool, but the investment has seen improvements which will allow the building to continue functioning.
Discussions over whether the pool would remain open triggered public outcry, something which Mayor Lutfur Rahman concedes influenced the council’s decision to invest in the facilities.
He said: “We have listened to the views of residents and pool users and decided to invest in this important community facility.
“I want to give residents more options to develop healthy lifestyles and enjoy their free time. That is why I am investing in St George’s Leisure Centre.”
You may also want to watch:
The work undertaken as part of the refurbishment programme includes the installation of new windows and upgrades to the mechanical systems used for ensuring pool water is as hygienic as possible.
Councillor Rania Khan, lead member for culture, described the upgrades as “a great addition to the borough’s leisure provision.”
- 1 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 2 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 3 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 4 Leyton Orient sign Theo Archibald on loan from Lincoln City
- 5 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 6 Highest point reached on new homes in disused Bethnal Green car park
- 7 Covid stats show cases rising across east London boroughs
- 8 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
- 9 ‘Humanitarian disaster’ food shortage for East End families in poverty
- 10 Thames Path voted UK's No one for walking — even if blocked in places