Work on St George’s Leisure Centre is completed
St George’s Leisure Centre in Shadwell has been given an �800,000 renovation, having previously been on the verge of closure.
Structural reports had indicated that the centre was nearing the end of its capacity to continue operating as a public swimming pool, but the investment has seen improvements which will allow the building to continue functioning.
Discussions over whether the pool would remain open triggered public outcry, something which Mayor Lutfur Rahman concedes influenced the council’s decision to invest in the facilities.
He said: “We have listened to the views of residents and pool users and decided to invest in this important community facility.
“I want to give residents more options to develop healthy lifestyles and enjoy their free time. That is why I am investing in St George’s Leisure Centre.”
You may also want to watch:
The work undertaken as part of the refurbishment programme includes the installation of new windows and upgrades to the mechanical systems used for ensuring pool water is as hygienic as possible.
Councillor Rania Khan, lead member for culture, described the upgrades as “a great addition to the borough’s leisure provision.”
- 1 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 2 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 3 Beer gardens reopening with face marks, sanitisers and cobblestones
- 4 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 5 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike
- 6 Hundreds of customers descend on reopened retailers
- 7 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 8 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 9 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
- 10 Jailed: Smash-and-grab perfume raiders get 18 years between them