Work on St George’s Leisure Centre is completed
St George’s Leisure Centre in Shadwell has been given an �800,000 renovation, having previously been on the verge of closure.
Structural reports had indicated that the centre was nearing the end of its capacity to continue operating as a public swimming pool, but the investment has seen improvements which will allow the building to continue functioning.
Discussions over whether the pool would remain open triggered public outcry, something which Mayor Lutfur Rahman concedes influenced the council’s decision to invest in the facilities.
He said: “We have listened to the views of residents and pool users and decided to invest in this important community facility.
“I want to give residents more options to develop healthy lifestyles and enjoy their free time. That is why I am investing in St George’s Leisure Centre.”
You may also want to watch:
The work undertaken as part of the refurbishment programme includes the installation of new windows and upgrades to the mechanical systems used for ensuring pool water is as hygienic as possible.
Councillor Rania Khan, lead member for culture, described the upgrades as “a great addition to the borough’s leisure provision.”
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning