Work on St George’s Leisure Centre is completed
St George’s Leisure Centre in Shadwell has been given an �800,000 renovation, having previously been on the verge of closure.
Structural reports had indicated that the centre was nearing the end of its capacity to continue operating as a public swimming pool, but the investment has seen improvements which will allow the building to continue functioning.
Discussions over whether the pool would remain open triggered public outcry, something which Mayor Lutfur Rahman concedes influenced the council’s decision to invest in the facilities.
He said: “We have listened to the views of residents and pool users and decided to invest in this important community facility.
“I want to give residents more options to develop healthy lifestyles and enjoy their free time. That is why I am investing in St George’s Leisure Centre.”
You may also want to watch:
The work undertaken as part of the refurbishment programme includes the installation of new windows and upgrades to the mechanical systems used for ensuring pool water is as hygienic as possible.
Councillor Rania Khan, lead member for culture, described the upgrades as “a great addition to the borough’s leisure provision.”
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Go-ahead given for 315 more homes in third stage of Blackwall Reach scheme
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 'Grief and queer coming of age' theatre show to be put on for London Horror Festival
- 7 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 10 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week