Heated discussions caused over miners' dark comedy about Thatcher
Dear Ed, The NUM, with other unions is bringing the excellent dark comedy Maggie’s End to London’s Shaw Theatre in Euston Road from April 7 to18 , a cutting edge drama about thew 1974 miners' national strike that starts with the death’ of Margaret Thatcher. It caused heated discussions at its premiere in Durham
TEENAGERS and youngsters in their 20s seem every bit as political’ as past generations. I have spoken at public meetings all over the country on the anniversary of the miners’ strike which began 25 years ago this month.
I was in London last week to address one of these meetings and was astounded to see the number of young people attending. Many told me afterwards that they were studying politics at school, college and university.
The NUM, with other unions such as Unison, Unite, the GMB and RMT, are bringing the excellent dark comedy Maggie’s End to London’s Shaw Theatre in Euston Road (next to King’s Cross railway station) from April 7 to18.
You may also want to watch:
Maggie’s End is a cutting edge drama that starts with the death’ of Margaret Thatcher and focuses on New Labour’s intention of giving her a state funeral. It is a play every politics student, lecturer and teacher should see. It caused heated discussions at its premiere in Durham—not just at the end, but also during the interval.
For the first time in many years, impassioned political debate could be heard, something every politics student should be involved in.
- 1 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 2 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 3 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 4 Leyton Orient have announced their retained list as they begin rebuild
- 5 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 6 'Halt to development draining services' after win for neighbourhood plan
- 7 MP's fury at four-year delay removing Grenfell-type cladding from block
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 10 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
Secretary, North East Area
National Union of Mineworkers