Heated discussions caused over miners' dark comedy about Thatcher
Dear Ed, The NUM, with other unions is bringing the excellent dark comedy Maggie’s End to London’s Shaw Theatre in Euston Road from April 7 to18 , a cutting edge drama about thew 1974 miners' national strike that starts with the death’ of Margaret Thatcher. It caused heated discussions at its premiere in Durham
TEENAGERS and youngsters in their 20s seem every bit as political’ as past generations. I have spoken at public meetings all over the country on the anniversary of the miners’ strike which began 25 years ago this month.
I was in London last week to address one of these meetings and was astounded to see the number of young people attending. Many told me afterwards that they were studying politics at school, college and university.
The NUM, with other unions such as Unison, Unite, the GMB and RMT, are bringing the excellent dark comedy Maggie’s End to London’s Shaw Theatre in Euston Road (next to King’s Cross railway station) from April 7 to18.
You may also want to watch:
Maggie’s End is a cutting edge drama that starts with the death’ of Margaret Thatcher and focuses on New Labour’s intention of giving her a state funeral. It is a play every politics student, lecturer and teacher should see. It caused heated discussions at its premiere in Durham—not just at the end, but also during the interval.
For the first time in many years, impassioned political debate could be heard, something every politics student should be involved in.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 'Utterly horrific': Tower Hamlets MPs react to Sir David Amess stabbing
- 8 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 9 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 10 O’s seeking to end winless run of three games with win over struggling Saddlers
Secretary, North East Area
National Union of Mineworkers