Helicopter makes emergency landing in Millwall Park
RESIDENTS basking in the sunshine in Millwall Park had to make a quick escape on Sunday afternoon when a helicopter was forced to make an emergency landing. The pilot of the four-seater helicopter had to make the landing in the park on the Isle of Dog fo
RESIDENTS basking in the sunshine in Millwall Park had to make a quick escape on Sunday afternoon when a helicopter was forced to make an emergency landing.
The pilot of the four-seater helicopter had to make the landing in the park on the Isle of Dog following mechanical problems with the aircraft.
Firefighters from Millwall Station were called to clear the park and help guide the pilot to safety at around 5.30pm.
Crew manager David Maisey told the Advertiser that a couple from Redhill in Surrey had been enjoying a tour of the skies 1,500ft above the ground, over Canary Wharf, to celebrate their tenth wedding anniversary.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Maisey said: "The pilot said there was a loud bang and then the helicopter started to drop.
"But he managed to land it safely and we had to check that everyone was alright. "There were kids playing football but they were enthralled by what was happening.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 10 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
"The helicopter had to eventually be towed away.