Helicopter makes emergency landing in Millwall Park
RESIDENTS basking in the sunshine in Millwall Park had to make a quick escape on Sunday afternoon when a helicopter was forced to make an emergency landing. The pilot of the four-seater helicopter had to make the landing in the park on the Isle of Dog fo
RESIDENTS basking in the sunshine in Millwall Park had to make a quick escape on Sunday afternoon when a helicopter was forced to make an emergency landing.
The pilot of the four-seater helicopter had to make the landing in the park on the Isle of Dog following mechanical problems with the aircraft.
Firefighters from Millwall Station were called to clear the park and help guide the pilot to safety at around 5.30pm.
Crew manager David Maisey told the Advertiser that a couple from Redhill in Surrey had been enjoying a tour of the skies 1,500ft above the ground, over Canary Wharf, to celebrate their tenth wedding anniversary.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Maisey said: "The pilot said there was a loud bang and then the helicopter started to drop.
"But he managed to land it safely and we had to check that everyone was alright. "There were kids playing football but they were enthralled by what was happening.
- 1 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 3 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 4 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 5 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 6 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 7 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 8 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 9 Leyton Orient searching for a new manager as they bid farewell to McAnuff
- 10 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
"The helicopter had to eventually be towed away.