Hello Ducks! Lost your mum?
MARKET inspectors went quackers’ when they spotted three tiny ducklings no more than two weeks old which had lost their mum. Susan Lewis and Sue Ironside were arriving for work in London’s Petticoat Lane when they spotted the three bedraggled little creatures shivering on the ground
MARKET inspectors went quackers’ when they spotted three tiny ducklings no more than two weeks old which had lost their mum.
Colleagues Susan Lewis and Sue Ironside were arriving for work in London’s famous Petticoat Lane when they spotted the three bedraggled little creatures shivering on the ground.
“We watched them for a while, waiting for the mother to come for them,” said Susan.
“But it was soon clear that they were distressed and had been abandoned.”
You may also want to watch:
She added: “They were freezing and we were worried with all the City traffic that one of them would get run over.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 10 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
“They were so tiny that the three of them fitted into the palm of my hand.”
It was a strange sight for the two market traders. There aren’t any parks or lakes in the middle of Whitechapel or Aldgate where they could have come from.
They took the three tiny ducklings to the market office in Wentworth Street nearby, where colleague David Christie helped feed them with bread soaked in water and wrapped them up warmly.
But sadly, one of the ducklings died. The RSPCA later collected the surviving ducklings.