Helmet saved my life, says cyclist trapped under car in Spitalfields
- Credit: Archant
A cyclist who was trapped under a car has revealed that a helmet she bought on a whim saved her life.
Claire Pepper, 27, was cycling home to South London last night when she was involved in a collision with a car in Commercial Street at the junction with Hanbury Street in Spitalfields.
It left her trapped under the car which was lifted by a group of 10 bystanders who helped free Claire.
Speaking from The Royal London Hospital, where she was taken, Claire said: “I’m in a bit of pain as the pain killers have worn off. I have a broken collarbone and some bruises but I feel pretty lucky.
“I don’t have any recollection of the accident at all.”
Claire, a fashion photographer, said she owes her life to the new helmet she bought recently on a whim. She said: “Its the first time I have worn it. I just bought it on a whim and I was thinking I should have asked for it for Christmas but I’m glad I did buy it.”
Claire said she was “super grateful” to the people who lifted the car off her.
- 1 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets
- 2 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 3 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 4 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 5 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 6 Leyton Orient progress in FA Cup with huge win over Tranmere
- 7 Delayed Canary Wharf 'portacabin' hotel hopes to open in 2022
- 8 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 9 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
- 10 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
Her boyfriend Jonathan Gales, 27, who was at her bedside, urged other cyclists to wear their helmets. He said: “It definitely saved her life. It was a brand new helmet and it was absolutely smashed, her head was stuck under the car.”