Hendon happy with current squad
- Credit: EMPICS Sport
Orient head coach discusses the latest on Jack Payne and how Scott Kashket will be among his forward options for the season
Leyton Orient head coach Ian Hendon has admitted although the club are still in discussions with Peterborough about signing Jack Payne, they are looking at alternative options.
The O’s boss was speaking after watching his side romp to a 4-0 victory over National League side Woking with Jay Simpson scoring twice alongside Ollie Palmer and Scott Kashket in the rout at Kingfield Stadium.
Although Posh skipper Payne went with the Brisbane Road outfit to Spain recently, no deal has been finalised between Orient and Peterborough as of yet.
It now seems the 23-year-old is unlikely to move to Brisbane Road, Hendon said: “Everyone keeps asking me about Jack. We are ongoing with Peterborough and trying to get something done and it is down to them.
You may also want to watch:
“We are still a way apart, we would like him to be here, but we will have to see what happens.
“There are other players out there as well, we are looking and I was looking at the top end, but from what I am seeing from the players I have got I am quite happy with what we have got.”
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
Orient would most likely look to add another midfielder to their squad, but it seems Hendon is happy with the forward options available to him.
He has brought in Ollie Palmer and Paul McCallum this summer and both have impressed up top alongside Jay Simpson.
Youngster Kashket continues to catch the eye as well and scored his second goal of pre-season against Woking yesterday (Tuesday).
Hendon was full of praise for the 19-year-old after the game and insisted he is somebody who can play for the O’s up front this season.
“I was very impressed with Scotty Kashket. He started, got a goal and his all round performance with his running and movement was superb so I’m very pleased with him,” added the O’s head coach.
“For a little lad he works so hard and we are not asking him to go and win tackles, but he rats around and his work rate is unbelievable. He was a positive for us.
“I think Scott can play anywhere, he has played on the left at Woking and come inside and he played up top when he came on against Colchester on Saturday.
“He has got two in two and is adding to our firepower and I have four people that can go up there and play in any sort of position. We can go three up front, we did in Spain, so we can do three up, two up or one up. There are a lot of options for us.”
Kashket has shined this summer and could well get a chance in the league soon.