Hendon thanks O’s president

Leyton Orient head coach Ian Hendon (pic: Simon O'Connor).

Leyton Orient head coach Ian Hendon (pic: Simon O'Connor). - Credit: Archant

Orient head coach discusses summer business so far, returning to pre-season and meeting squad last week

Leyton Orient head coach Ian Hendon has thanked president Francesco Becchetti for his help so far as the Brisbane Road boss gets to work on preparing for the new League Two season.

The O’s have already added four new players to their squad despite the transfer window only officially opening last week with Sean Clohessy, Sammy Moore, Blair Turgott and Paul McCallum all signed up for the new campaign.

Hendon has also finalised his backroom staff and brought in Andy Hessenthaler as his number two, Lee Harrison as goalkeeper coach and numerous other personnel.

And the former West Ham United first team coach was pleased to be able to complete that business with the minimal of fuss, something that isn’t always the case at other clubs.


You may also want to watch:


He said: “I am very pleased with the signings we have made and I have got to say the president has been great in backing what I wanted to do and there hasn’t been one problem. I have made four signings to the playing staff, but I have also got my complete backroom staff in as well.

“At the end of last season everyone seemed to be out of contract or went with the previous manager so I am very lucky in that respect that I can bring my own people in.

Most Read

“Normally you go to a place where a lot of the staff are in situ and you have to get on with them whether they have your belief about how you want to do things or not, but I know the people I have got back me 100 per cent and I am very comfortable with that.”

Orient returned to pre-season training last week and although Hendon had spoken to all the players on the phone, he was happy to meet them all for the first time.

The O’s squad went through various tests on Tuesday before training for the 2015/16 campaign officially started on Wednesday.

Hendon was delighted to see his squad in good physical condition and admitted the game has changed a lot since his time as a player.

He said: “The football started on Wednesday, the lads have obviously been in doing fitness tests and screening – the bit they hate!

“We check out what sort of condition they are in before they start pre-season. Football has changed a lot over the years and they don’t come back a stone overweight like they did in my day when I started.

“They take pretty good care of themselves and we just have to make sure they are ready to go into what we are putting on, which involves sports science.”

Hendon felt speaking to all the contracted Orient players on the phone before meeting them for the first time on Wednesday went down well.

Although the former West Ham United first team coach has been on holiday during the past month, it hasn’t stopped him working hard to get the club ready for their League Two opener against Barnet on August 8 at Brisbane Road and things are falling into place nicely.

“I have been away on holiday and I needed to get them in while I could, but I have been on the phone a lot,” admitted Hendon.

“I had rung all the players that were here and under contract and introduced myself and had a chat to see how they were. I think that went down quite well with the lads and then I come in and met them for the first time on day one and now I am starting to get a feel for them.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus