Hero doctor of 7/7 Aldgate bombing died asleep in blaze at home while drunk, inquest told
- Credit: Archant
A hero doctor from the 2005 Aldgate terrorist Underground train bombing 11 years ago died after discarding a cigarette in a plastic bag causing a fire in her top-floor flat, an inquest heard today.
Dr Claire Sheppey, a member of the Royal London Hospital response team during the 7/7 emergency, had been drinking and fell asleep and was never aware of the fire that broke out at home in north London in March, St Pancras Coroner’s Court was told.
She had no working smoke alarm in her second floor flat near Highbury.
The fire began smouldering in her living room two hours before flames emerged, with toxic fumes seeping into her bedroom.
Dr Sheppey, a consultant paediatric anaesthetist, died aged 47 from carbon monoxide poisoning, the inquest heard.
You may also want to watch:
She was found unconscious by fire rescue crews and was rushed to Royal London in Whitechapel—the very hospital where she had worked since 2004—but died.
Fire Brigade investigator Dean Wilkinson told the inquest: “Around the sofa bed were plastic bags with cigarette butts and empty packets.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
“This caused the fire, slow and smouldering, which developed into flames with very heavy smoke—you wouldn’t have been able to see your hand in front of your face.”
It took two hours to grow into a full blaze, he estimated.
Dr Sheppey, who suffered no skin burns, had 193 milligrams of alcohol per decilitre of blood, almost double what is defined as “drunkenness”, the hearing was told.
Coroner Mary Hassell, who concluded accidental death, said: “Dr Sheppey didn’t discard the cigarette properly before going to bed.
“A very slow, smouldering fire began and the fumes would have been very toxic. She fell asleep and was never aware of the fire.”
The coroner also warned: “It’s important for public safety to understand that no smoke detection (alarm) was a factor.”
Dr Sheppey was one of the first responding to the 7/7 bombings in July, 2005, handling an influx of badly injured passengers from a wrecked Circle Line train in the tunnel at Aldgate.