Holy smoke: Cigarette suspected as Bethnal Green church fire cause
- Credit: Mike Brooke
Flames which damaged part of a church in Bethnal Green were caused by a carelessly discarded cigarette, London Fire Brigade (LFB) believe.
Four fire engines and 21 firefighters took around an hour and a half to control the blaze at Place of Victory church which gutted part of the ground floor.
Crews were called to The Oval shortly after 5.30am on Saturday after a passer-by spotted flames coming from a hatch leading to a basement at the rear of the converted industrial unit.
Attending fire crews from Bethnal Green, Shoreditch, Whitechapel and Homerton fire stations found the building unoccupied on arrival.
They suspect the “unsafe disposal of smoking materials” like a match or cigarette caused the fire.
You may also want to watch:
Following the incident, LFB has issued safety advice for smokers reminding them to install smoke alarms in regularly-used rooms, including hallways, never smoke in bed, and ensure fags are stubbed out properly.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 10 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze