Homeless cafe reopens after kitchen make-over
A Caf� offering homeless people work experience and qualifications has re-opened in Whitechapel after getting a make-over.
The Crisis Skyligt Cafe on Commercial Street has reopened with an improved kitchen to help it deliver better service to customers, as well as providing a more inspiring place for homeless people to train.
The cafe is part of Crisis Skylight London, an award-winning education, training and employment centre operated by Crisis, the national charity for single homeless people. The centre offers practical workshops and learning opportunities to help homeless people find work.
Manager of the Skylight Caf�, Alana Cookman, said: “The caf� is a really important part of what we do at Crisis as it offers a supportive environment for training and gaining qualifications. With our trainees, we enhance values like self-confidence and enthusiasm, values which can often be eroded by homelessness.
“This kitchen refurbishment has made everyone really happy, and it’s really great to see how excited all the staff and trainees are to start using the new facilities”
You may also want to watch:
In the last year 40 former homeless people took part in training at the cafe. Thirty of them achieved one or more accredited qualifications, and 24 trainees then moved into paid work while 10 moved into further education.
The kitchen refurbishment was funded the The French Huguenot Church of London Charitable Trust and The Worshipful Company of Cooks of London.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Brigade issues fire safety warning after Limehouse studio blaze
- 3 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 4 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 5 Khalid Ali couldn't hide delight after winning start against Dean Wilkinson
- 6 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 7 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 8 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 9 Families tell developers what's needed on Poplar's Teviot estate at fun day
- 10 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing