Homeless cafe reopens after kitchen make-over
A Caf� offering homeless people work experience and qualifications has re-opened in Whitechapel after getting a make-over.
The Crisis Skyligt Cafe on Commercial Street has reopened with an improved kitchen to help it deliver better service to customers, as well as providing a more inspiring place for homeless people to train.
The cafe is part of Crisis Skylight London, an award-winning education, training and employment centre operated by Crisis, the national charity for single homeless people. The centre offers practical workshops and learning opportunities to help homeless people find work.
Manager of the Skylight Caf�, Alana Cookman, said: “The caf� is a really important part of what we do at Crisis as it offers a supportive environment for training and gaining qualifications. With our trainees, we enhance values like self-confidence and enthusiasm, values which can often be eroded by homelessness.
“This kitchen refurbishment has made everyone really happy, and it’s really great to see how excited all the staff and trainees are to start using the new facilities”
You may also want to watch:
In the last year 40 former homeless people took part in training at the cafe. Thirty of them achieved one or more accredited qualifications, and 24 trainees then moved into paid work while 10 moved into further education.
The kitchen refurbishment was funded the The French Huguenot Church of London Charitable Trust and The Worshipful Company of Cooks of London.
- 1 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 2 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 3 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 4 Drivers fight Tower Hamlets for years over 'clamping on private land'
- 5 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 6 Waste bin by the Thames used as 'lifebuoy' to save marine life
- 7 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 8 'Earn while you learn' new degree course for students from any background
- 9 Golfer to visit Canary Wharf on 'world's longest golf hole challenge'
- 10 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant