Homes for 550 families gets Tower Hamlets green light
A HUGE development including a 24-storey tower block has got Town Hall approval which could mean new homes for 550 households to help reduce the chronic housing shortage in London’s East End.
But the size of the �30 million high-rise and low-rise development at Bromley-by-Bow, stretching a quarter-of-a-mile along the DLR at Devans Road, means it now needs strategic approval from Boris Johnson.
The developers, Workspace Real Estate in Whitechapel which owns 100 business centres across London, is now starting talks with the Mayor of London for the final go-ahead.
The scheme is a mix of low-rent social housing and commercial space for small businesses as well as luxury apartments for the property market. It includes four-bedroom and six-bedroom homes suitable for large families on the waiting list. It also includes shops for local retail outlets.
But Tower Hamlets council is having to modify its ‘no car zone’ policy after objections at yesterday’s Strategic Development committee.
You may also want to watch:
The plans were agreed after pressure to allow families the right to apply for parking permits if they live in the proposed development.
Workspace is paying Tower Hamlets �3 million for ‘planning gain’ which is being ploughed into education, transport and health care facilities in the Bromley and Poplar neighbourhoods.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 4 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 5 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 6 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 7 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 8 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park