Homophobia challenged at Shoreditch meeting for gay and lesbians
THERE S a meeting tonight for the gay and lesbian community to challenge homophobia and violence in east London. The gathering starts at 7.30pm in the Joiners Arms in Hackney Road in Shoreditch and Tower Hamlets councillors and police will be there alongs
THERE'S a meeting tonight for the gay and lesbian community to challenge homophobia and violence in east London.
The gathering starts at 7.30pm in the Joiners Arms in Hackney Road in Shoreditch and Tower Hamlets councillors and police will be there alongside members of Artists Against Knives and lesbian and gay campaigners Stonewall who will share information about their own campaigns to help keep people safe.
The East London Homophobia group urged people to tell police about any attacks and said: "The authorities, the police and the council, need to be told by us what is happening. This meeting will help in that, and show that we take these things, and ourselves, seriously."
Reports of incidents are being passed on by the George and Dragon and Joiners Arms pubs in Shoreditch.
You may also want to watch:
The meeting follows a similar gathering earlier this summer and last year's street attack which left a young man paralysed.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 4 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 5 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London
- 6 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 7 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 9 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 10 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs