Homophobic attack on couple in Whitechapel under police investigation
A homophobic attack on a gay couple in Whitechapel is being investigated by Tower Hamlets detectives, with two young men arrested and bailed.
Walter Adrian and his partner, both in their early 20s, were outside Barclays bank in Whitechapel Road when two young men approached them, yelling insults, at 1.30am on June 13.
The men then punched and kicked Walter and his partner, causing minor injuries which did not need medical attention.
Police called to the scene said the two attackers were part of a gang of four or five youths riding bikes.
A spokesman said: “This incident is believed to be homophobic.”
You may also want to watch:
Two 16-year-olds from were arrested over the attack on the same day and taken to an east London police station.
Both have been bailed to return to on July 4 pending further enquiries.
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact