Hospice worker teaching sick kids film-making is voted London hero’
A CARE worker who uses technology to tech film-making to terminally-ill children in East London has been voted the capital’s digital hero.’ Bernie Wighton topped the poll to win �5,000 for his project at Richard House Children’s Hospice in Beckton
A CARE worker who uses technology to tech film-making to terminally-ill children in East London has been voted the capital's 'digital hero.'
Bernie Wighton, who runs his project at Richard House Children's Hospice in Beckton, is one of 12 regional winners from all over Britain to reach the finals of the telecom industry's 'Heroes' awards.
Bernie received the largest number of votes across London, almost 1,800, beating two other good causes, to receive �5,000 for his project from TalkTalk broadband.
"The grant means I can now extend the project at Richard House to more children," he said. "It will open up a whole new world of film-making for them and encourage their creativity and self-esteem."
You may also want to watch:
Bernie is the brains behind the 'Living Films' project which teaches terminally-ill youngsters to script, direct and edit their own films.
The 12 regional 'heroes' have now been invited to a House of Lords ceremony on November 24 when an overall national winner takes away �10,000 in the UK Digital awards.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week