Housing group commended for battling prostitution on Bethnal Green estate
A housing organisation battling against the rising tide of prostitution and drug-dealing on a Bethnal Green estate have had their achievements formally recognised.
One Housing Group received a special commendation at the Social Landlords Crime and Nuisance Group (SLCNG) Awards on Wednesday, for its anti-social behaviour team’s efforts on the Flower and Dean estate.
Working in partnership with the Metropolitan Police and the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, a vice group was set up to patrol the area at night after residents voiced their concerns in May 2012.
Increased lighting on the estate and the removal of low-hanging trees as part of a wide-ranging action plan have also helped to create a safer environment for those living in the area, near to Brick Lane.
Catherine Kyne, director of housing operations, said: “We are very proud of the work that our team have been doing in partnership with the police and the borough.
You may also want to watch:
“By working together we have been able to significantly decrease the number of issues reported. “We will continue to work together to tackle the issues and make the area an enjoyable and safe place for our residents to live.”
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 8 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 9 'Utterly horrific': Tower Hamlets MPs react to Sir David Amess stabbing
- 10 O’s seeking to end winless run of three games with win over struggling Saddlers