Here's why people stay longer in the East End despite the crime
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The best place to find your dream home anywhere in London is the East End despite its high crime, according to researchers.
Tower Hamlets appears top of the list of London boroughs for home-buyers where people stay the longest — 53 years on average, according to research by Bequests property website.
Second on the list is neighbouring Hackney, where people stay an average 49 years.
Homes in Tower Hamlets are smaller than elsewhere, an average of 59sq metres, little more than half in somewhere like Richmond or Bromley, the research claims.
Yet prices have rocketed since Docklands rejuvenation and Canary Wharf arriving on the skyline. The average house would set you back around £507,000, though not as much as Hackney’s £675,000, Islington at £870,000 or Richmond topping with £922,000.
You may also want to watch:
The crime rate doesn’t put home-seekers off in an area where 100 incidents are recorded per 1,000 of the population.
What makes Tower Hamlets a grand place are the schools and GP surgeries, researchers found. It has 97 per cent schools rated good or outstanding by Ofsted, more than anywhere else across London - bar Waltham Forest, which can boast the same.
- 1 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 2 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 3 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 4 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 5 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 6 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 7 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 8 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 9 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 10 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
There are 59 surgeries per 100,000 of the population, only surpassed by Hackney with 65.
Tower Hamlets is a good place to invest, according to the Bequests.com survey, where values rose by an overage £234,000 over the past 10 years, outpaced only by Hackney and four other areas.