I am devastated at temple fire where our holy scripture is kept
Dear Ed, I WAS devastated as a member of the Sikh community in London to hear that there had been a fire in a gurdwara in Bow. I was shocked and confused to hear that this was in the place where our holy scripture is kept. How could anyone attempt to start a fire in a place of worship?
I WAS devastated as a member of the Sikh community in London to hear that there had been a fire in a gurdwara in Bow. I was shocked and confused to hear that this was in the place where our holy scripture, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, is kept.
How could this happen? How could anyone attempt to start a fire in a place of worship? Why in a place of worship?
Our history has many examples of martyrs who have given their lives for defence of human rights, justice, truth and equality and the right to practice one's faith without discrimination.
We have struggled with oppression, injustice and inequality. One event a few years ago was the Indian government's policy over our holy shrine, the Golden Temple in Amritsar in 1984.
Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is treated as a living spiritual guide for Sikhs who show respect, faith and request guidance during their lives. The fact that this may have been an attempt to attack the very essence of our spirit brings great sadness.
I hope the East London Advertiser can understand and help to highlight our very great sadness at Monday afternoon's fire to all peoples.
- 1 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 2 Update: Woman, 56, missing in Tower Hamlets found
- 3 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 4 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 5 Cyclist in 'critical but stable' condition after Whitechapel lorry crash
- 6 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 7 Cyclist in hospital after lorry collision in Whitechapel
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Whitechapel nun pens book of 12 stories to inspire selflessness in society
- 10 Mile End: Car crashes into bus stop during police pursuit