I’m appalled TfL won’t refund tickets for snowbound journeys
Dear Ed, THERE are many commuters who were unable to travel on London’s public transport on February 2 (because of the snow) while having already paid out for an advance travel card or bus pass. I am appalled that TfL won’t refund fares for 10 million journeys which could not go ahead
THERE are many commuters who were unable to travel on London’s public transport on February 2 (because of the snow) while having already paid out for an advance weekly or monthly travel card or bus pass.
I am appalled at Transport for London’s view that fares for 10 million journeys which could not go ahead that day won’t be refunded.
I along with London Assembly colleagues will be pressing Mayor Boris Johnson who chairs TfL to extend the same courtesy and goodwill he has shown car drivers by refunding last Monday’s Congestion Charge and pay back the cost of a day’s travel to those who had bought travelcards before the severe weather.
You may also want to watch:
Most people need to be frugal in an economic climate. The flipside of TfL’s argument is that they are hanging onto cash already paid for journeys which could not take place.
This is unreasonable—for a family on a lower-income, this waste of even a few pounds can make a big difference to the weekly household budget.
- 1 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 2 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 3 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 4 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 5 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 8 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 9 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 10 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
John Biggs (Lab)
London Assembly Member for City & East London