I’m appalled TfL won’t refund tickets for snowbound journeys
Dear Ed, THERE are many commuters who were unable to travel on London’s public transport on February 2 (because of the snow) while having already paid out for an advance travel card or bus pass. I am appalled that TfL won’t refund fares for 10 million journeys which could not go ahead
THERE are many commuters who were unable to travel on London’s public transport on February 2 (because of the snow) while having already paid out for an advance weekly or monthly travel card or bus pass.
I am appalled at Transport for London’s view that fares for 10 million journeys which could not go ahead that day won’t be refunded.
I along with London Assembly colleagues will be pressing Mayor Boris Johnson who chairs TfL to extend the same courtesy and goodwill he has shown car drivers by refunding last Monday’s Congestion Charge and pay back the cost of a day’s travel to those who had bought travelcards before the severe weather.
You may also want to watch:
Most people need to be frugal in an economic climate. The flipside of TfL’s argument is that they are hanging onto cash already paid for journeys which could not take place.
This is unreasonable—for a family on a lower-income, this waste of even a few pounds can make a big difference to the weekly household budget.
- 1 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 2 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 3 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 4 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 5 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 6 Orient boss McAnuff determined to not help Salford City into the play-offs
- 7 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 8 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 9 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 10 East London venue to host big-screen Euro 2020 football fanzone
John Biggs (Lab)
London Assembly Member for City & East London