I’m appalled TfL won’t refund tickets for snowbound journeys
Dear Ed, THERE are many commuters who were unable to travel on London’s public transport on February 2 (because of the snow) while having already paid out for an advance travel card or bus pass. I am appalled that TfL won’t refund fares for 10 million journeys which could not go ahead
THERE are many commuters who were unable to travel on London’s public transport on February 2 (because of the snow) while having already paid out for an advance weekly or monthly travel card or bus pass.
I am appalled at Transport for London’s view that fares for 10 million journeys which could not go ahead that day won’t be refunded.
I along with London Assembly colleagues will be pressing Mayor Boris Johnson who chairs TfL to extend the same courtesy and goodwill he has shown car drivers by refunding last Monday’s Congestion Charge and pay back the cost of a day’s travel to those who had bought travelcards before the severe weather.
You may also want to watch:
Most people need to be frugal in an economic climate. The flipside of TfL’s argument is that they are hanging onto cash already paid for journeys which could not take place.
This is unreasonable—for a family on a lower-income, this waste of even a few pounds can make a big difference to the weekly household budget.
- 1 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 4 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 5 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 6 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 7 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 8 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 9 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 10 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff
John Biggs (Lab)
London Assembly Member for City & East London