I met man who climbed onto hospital roof –he still needs help
Dear Ed, I READ the article Hero fireman saves man in hospital rooftop drama’ with interest. the day after the incident, I met the man who had climbed onto Mile End Hospital roof and threatened to jump. He is still in great need of help
I READ the article Hero fireman saves man in hospital rooftop drama’ with interest (Advertiser Website, March 26).
On the day after the incident (March 27), I met the man who had climbed onto Mile End Hospital roof and threatened to jump.
Without in any way wishing to undermine the deserved praise of firefighter Peter Burley (pictured above), I would like to say that this man is still in great need of help.
The situation he described to me was that he was no longer allowed to visit his wife. He told me that the two of them had been trying to find a home for two years without success.
You may also want to watch:
No matter how common the problem of homelessness, I believe this situation should be described as shocking and needs to be addressed.
I realise that there are many people and groups who help homeless people and do much more than those like me. My purpose in writing is not to criticise those who may well be doing their best to help this man, but only to draw attention to him and his situation which was somewhat passed over in the Advertiser’s article.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
However, if I were to voice concern, it would be that so soon after the event the man was released from care when it was clear he was in a bad state of mind and, in fact, was threatening to climb the roof of the hospital again.
Newark Street, Whitechapel